Friday, August 1, 2014

Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Bread


Last weekend my parents came to visit. And although we didn't have big plans to go out and about I really wanted to bake with my mom. We have so much zucchini right now between CSA shares and others generously giving us some of their crop.  I love me some zucchini but it was getting to be a bit much. We simply couldn't eat it all before some started to go bad. 


With my mom in town I was determined to get baking with the zucchini.  First up was zucchini bread. This recipe makes two loaves.  We kept one classic but decided to amp up the other with some large chocolate chunk pieces. 


Guess which loaf disappeared first?


The bread itself is not too sweet so the chocolate certainly livened it up a bit making it a nice after dinner treat. We two sets of hands in the kitchen, this bread was done in no time. I wish I always had a baking buddy on the weekends. 


Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Bread

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert chocolate zucchini summer
Ingredients (2 loaves)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chunks or chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans, liberally.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well the chocolate chunks or chips.

Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.

Bake loaves for 60 minutes, rotating pans in over about halfway through cooking time. Test with a knife or toothpick inserted into the center; it should come out clean.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. Love the chocolate chunks! Perfect use for the abundance of zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I wish someone would drop a boatload of zucchini onto my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini is one of my favorites veggies. The big chunks of chocolate are so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that big chocolate chunks much better than the little chips. Very appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...