Thursday, July 9, 2015

Anadama Bread

Somehow I ended up taking a mini blog vacation. It wasn't intentional but last week was a bit hectic. It was my company's annual company meeting. I had long days. Mr. J was out of town, so it was my first time alone, overnight with Miss O. As luck would have it she got sick. Not fun. And then it was the 4th of July. My best friend came to celebrate and meet Miss O. Now here we are several days later and I still haven't posted. 



I have a bunch to say but am also not so motivated to type out everything currently in the works. So we are just going to speak bread. I am still on my homemade bread kick. Even with all of the hectic-ness of the last couple of weeks I have managed to crank out a new loaf each weekend. It seems to work out that one loaf gets us through the week. I use the bread for sandwiches and Mr. J enjoys toast in the morning. 

The bread this week was extra special. I made Anadama bread. I had never heard of Anadama bread till I moved to Maine. It is a New England thing. Basically it is white bread with cornmeal and molasses. It is sweet and filling. I love it. Pretty much the best time of bread for toast. 

I used my mom's bread machine again and it worked like a charm. Up next I am thinking we might need something a bit more healthy. Oatmeal or whole grain anyone?  Something tells me Mr. J would like to stick with the white bread. 



Anadama Bread

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus rise time
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: bake bread
Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 package instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 2 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
Instructions
Put all of the ingredients into the base of the bread machine. Starting with liquids and ending with the yeast.

Start machine on dough setting. Mine machine takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Remove dough from machine, Knead gently to shape into loaf form. Place dough into a greased 9X5 loaf pan.

Cover with a clean dry towel. Let rise till dough reaches top of pan. About 10 minutes from when the dough is at the top of pan preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes.

Remove bread from pan. The top will be browned and the bottom should sound hallow when hit.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Time really does fly by these days. I hope miss O is feeling much better. I need to get into s bread making kick again. This one sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a little sweetness in my bread. Your loaf looks fabulous.
    P.S. You deserve a little break with all you have going on :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...